Thursday, July 26, 2007

Martha, Martha, Martha Chix w/ Avocado 'Salsa'


Good ol' Martha Stewart comes through again. I spied this recipe in her July 2007 issue which I was reading while getting my nails done. I really like avocado but my husband isnt a huge fan of the texture so I dont use it much, but it seemed like this recipe had enough other stuff going on that he wouldnt be bothered. I can't locate this recipe online to link to - if I do later with mag in hand I will go back and add the pg number etc. The recipe below is what I did. I will note the majoy changes I made. Other changes are in my more imprecise measurements and I will just note what I did (ie: 1 sqeezed lemon vs 2 TB lemon juice)


4 Chicken Breasts

Marinate in juice from 1 lemon plus 1 TB EVOO for 1 - 3 hours (I only did about 15 min due to time restraints and it was fine. Next time I make it I will try marinating to longer to get a stronger lemon flavor but I really dont think we were missing anything, there are so many other flavors kickin around)


in a pan, add 1 tsp EVOO and slice the kernals from 2 ears of corn into pan on med. (im sure off season you could use the canned stuff, drained) plus 1 jalepeno pepper or other hot pepper, minced. Cook about 5 min until soft. *I did this in two pans - one with and one without the hot peppers since Ryan likes them and I dont. You can do it either way.*

Remove from heat. *note: martha's recipe called from thinly sliced fresh ginger in this step as well. I omitted it in favor of Cilantro*


Put chicken breast on a hot pan and cook till cooked through.


In the meantime, add to pan with corn: 1 can black beans drained and rinsed, 1 small red onion, diced, handful of cilantro, chopped, juice of 4 small limes. Stir well. Add: 20 cherry tomatos, quarted (martha only calls for 10 but I felt more were needed), 2 avocados peeled, pitted and diced. Stire gently to combine. Top the chicken with the Avocado Mixture.


This was indescribably good. One of the BEST meals I have tried in a while (IMO at least!) Pretty easy too - all the prep work and chopping is done while the chicken is cooking. DEFINITELY making it again.


This is so healthy too - only a TB or two of oil... low carb... loads of good for you veggies, lean protein... and avocados while high in fat, are the GOOD fat which can help raise your HDL and are a good thing to eat occassionally.


DEFINITELY worth making! Summery and flavorful and fabulous :) I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch :)

No comments: