Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Recipes to Rival: Ratatouille



Recipes to Rival is a BRAND SPANKIN NEW food blogging group - it was created as a spin off to Daring Bakers, except for savory food - cooking, not baking. And so far, it is challenging and great! Our maiden dish was Ratatouille and though this recipe was long and involved... it was GOOD! I made it the night before, and then just reheated in the oven, broiled, and topped with the vinaigrette to serve before dinner. This was truly excellent and if I make it again it would DEFINITELY be on a weekend! Thanks to our fabulous hosts and founders, Lori and Temperance for this great dish! By the way, this is the official recipe for the movie!

Check out this and other future RtR recipes here.


My Changes: the piperade wasnt doing a thing for me on low or even medinum low heat, I had to put it up to medium for it to move at all (still didnt brown and took the suggested amount of time)

I couldnt find any chevril or thyme flowers - I added basil instead to the vinaigrette.


I served this alongside lamb chops and a baguette - the ratatouille was EXCELLENT speared on the bread!

7 comments:

Temperance said...

If I had had more left overs (and an appropriatly crusty bread) I would have made ratatouille sandwiches. It was good just about every way I did try it though.

Your piperade sounds perfect, it wasn't suppose to brown just get squishy. Though I will admit I turned up the temp a bit too.

Congradulations on your success. :)

Anonymous said...

I just joined DB a couple of months ago and it's been fun. This sounds like a great group too, I'll be sure to check them out.

Ever since the movie, my daughters have been wanting to make ratatouille. I'll be printing out the recipe. Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

Yum...

Dolores said...

expanding on your baguette idea, this recipe would make a most excellent bruchetta. Of course I guess that's Italy, not France... but it's all good. Great job on RtR Round 1!

Anonymous said...

Your ratatouille looks so good. I loved this recipe too, will defintely make it again. I agree, this would be great on bread, I served mine with spaghetti.

That Girl said...

Is Recipes to Rival as intimidating as Daring Bakers?

annie said...

This looks delicious!

Also, you're tagged! See my blog for details.