Friday, December 14, 2007

Candy Cane Cookies


I always like candy cane cookies as a kid but made them my own as an adult by making sure they not only look cute but also TASTE good.

I start out with the Rich Rolled butter cookie dough from my mom's Joy of COoking (they changed the recipe in mine so I have the old recipe written in). I usually make a double batch of the dough and put half aside for cut outs and the remaining half gets tweaked for the candy canes.
Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
Beat well.
Add: 1 large egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla (I make it 2 because I like the added flavor).
Stir in 2.5 cups of flour until well-mixed and smooth.
Add 1.5 tsp peppermint extract and mix well. Separate half the dough out and wrap and put in the fridge. Add red (and / or green) food coloring to the remaining dough, beat well, and wrap and refridgerate both for 20-30 min.
Divide each color into about 6 pieces and roll each into a long snake, all the same length. Place them next to each other, touching, alternating colors. When all the dough is laid out, roll over them wiht a rolling pin until about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thich and even. Optional: Top dough with crushed candy canes (I run them through the food processor)
Cut dough into long thin strips on the diagonal. Place on greased cookie sheet andcurve into shape. Bake at 350 degrees, 8 to 10 min.
Yummy - buttery and minty without being too overpowering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny!! I'm making these today too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.