Friday, December 14, 2007

Chocolate Espresso Cookies


Every year at Christmas I try to make at least one new cookie in addition to the regulars. This year I was unsure what I wanted to make and had not found a recipe that grabbed me. Ryan asked "Is it too late to make cookie requests?" and suggested something with coffee in it.


So after searching all the usual suspect websites for coffee and cookies I found this one on epicuious.com. I found myself reading through about 15 pages of reviews and realized that yes I wanted to try this cookie. It is a more complicated recipe complete with melting chocolate over a double burner and whipping eggs but the results were fabulous. Many reviewers had trouble with a runny batter but I realized from a) the other reviews and b) the recipe that the key was in whipping those eggs enough. I whipped longer than the recoomended 3 min, just to be sure. Treat the whipping like you are beating eggs whites for a meringue - going in with that perspective I think helped me reach the right thickness. Contrary to the reviews, my batter was QUITE thick, with no additional flour or refridgeration.


The only thing I learned while doing was that my initial cookies were too big and were not cooking properly as a result. In subsequent batches I played with the cookie size and bake time and found that a smaller cookie was just right with the times specified. Plus these are RICH so smaller cookies just make more sense!


Ingredients


3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (I used the Ghiradelli 60% Cacoa chips mmm)

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

3 large eggs

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons finely ground dark-roast coffee beans, such as Italian-roast (I used SBux French Roast freshly ground)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 teaspoon baking powder (Glad I have that 'odd' measuring spoon set!)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup walnuts (subbed white chocolate chips instead - dont like walnuts and was out of hazelnuts)


Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 2 large heavy baking sheets.
In a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup chocolate chips, and butter, stirring until smooth, and remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
Note: I used the whisk attachment
In a bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs, sugar, and ground coffee on high speed until very thick and pale and mixture forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 3 minutes (took me 10+, given I doubled the recipe. Err on the side of beating more, should be very thick and pale), and beat in chocolate mixture. Into mixture sift in flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined. Stir in remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
Drop batter by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and cracked on top. Cool cookies in baking sheets 1 minute and transfer to racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

MrsSchoon said...

Mmm those look so chewy and chocolatey!