Sunday, August 31, 2008

DB: Eclairs!



August's Daring Bakers Challenge was eclairs - something new to me (again). I really liked this one! Even though I ran into some hiccups... they were still scrumptious!
The challenge rules required that we use the given pate a choux recipe, and either the given glaze recipe OR the given chocolate filling. I felt that a chocolate glaze and filling would be too much, so instead I made the given chocolate glaze and two different fillings: cappuccino flavored, and the given chocolate filling... just without the chocolate (thus, vanilla).
I got the cappuccino recipe from a recent issue of Bon Appetit magzine (linked above). I really liked the flavor, but the filling didnt set up as well as the given recipe, so it was too runny.
I encountered two problems with this challenge: first, the pate a choux. It came together GREAT - perfectly! I piped them (used a ziplock with the corner snipped - perfect!) and threw them in the oven. They rose nicely... I pulled them out... and POOF. Fell flat. To the point that it was hard to slice them later! I made a second batch, this time trying the trick of letting them slowly cool in the oven after they were done baking. Same thing.
After reading some tips on the forums, I think they probably just needed more baking time (hard to tell since they were golden and puffed as the recipe says they should be when done). It was ok though, still tasted great!
Me second issue was with the glaze, and I am still not sure what happened. I followed the directions to a T, and yet after adding my first tsp of butter, the glaze broke. It became a beautiful choclate glaze, swimming in melted butter. I ended up adding double the chocolate sauce to it, and that mostly fixed it... regardless, it was deeply dark (I used half unsweetened and half bittersweet chocolate) and tasted beautiful :)
Overall, a great challenge! It really did challenge me, and it tasted great! Thanks!
Check out the recipe here!

6 comments:

Patti said...

They look terrific!

That Girl said...

I just LOVE the idea of cappachino eclair!

Sarah said...

Oh... cappuccino. Those sound wonderful!

Robyn said...

I had problems with them flattening and thought both chocolate parts would have been a bit much. Great job!

Barbara Bakes said...

I had the same problem with the shells. It looks tasty though!

Anonymous said...

your eclairs look great! I had the same problem with them deflating as soon as they were out of the oven but compounded by their bottoms sticking to the wax paper :(

That capuccino filling sounds delicious!