Sunday, June 8, 2008

BEST Tomato Soup EVAH!


I adore tomato soup. LOVE.IT. Ive tried to make it a few times and it was always good... but not stellar. This one though takes the cake. What is the secret? Well I think there are two. One - the sherry. It gave the soup a great flavor! Second - anything with this amount of butter and cream cant HELP but be good! ;)


I got the recipe from the Pioneer Woman... her stuff always looks great!


Sherried Tomato Soup


6 tablespoons melted butter

1 medium onion, diced

1 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice

2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes

1 to 3 tablespoons chicken base

3 to 6 tablespoons sugar

Pinch of salt

Black Pepper

1 cup cooking sherry

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

chopped fresh parsley

chopped fresh basil

Saute diced onions in butter until transluscent. Add canned tomatoes. Add tomato juice, sugar, pinch of salt, and black pepper and stir. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley and basil to taste, adjust other seasoning, and serve!


I omitted the parsley.

3 comments:

annie said...

Ooh, yum. I want to make tomato soup, but my husband is not all about soup in the summer. Guess I'll have to save this recipe for the fall!

Tania Sones Photography said...

This one is going on my fridge.. I'm a tomato soup addict and I love lots of sherry and cream ;-) Thanks for the recipe!!

Ms. Foodie said...

I made this the other day! Thanks for the suggestion!

http://littlemsfoodie.blogspot.com/2008/09/tomato-basil-soup.html