Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cran-Orange Sugar Cookies


Every Christmas, I try to make at least one new cookie. Sometimes they make the cut to become regulars, sometimes they dont. This one DEFINITELY will! It is a light counterpart to all the chocolate and rich cookies and the bite from the orange and cranberries is both seasonal and different. I saw this recipe on Good Eats N Sweet Treats, and it is originally from Land o Lakes.

Orange Sugar Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel (I found I needed double the orange sugar)
Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped macademia nuts (omitted)
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all orange sugar ingredients in small bowl; stir until well mixed. Set aside.Combine 1 cup sugar, butter and egg in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
Add all remaining ingredients. Continue beating just until mixed.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in orange sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten with bottom of glass to 1 1/2-inch circles.
Bake for 7 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. (DO NOT OVERBAKE.) Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.Yield: 5 Dozen Cookies.

Note: these do spread alot, so give them plenty of space!

1 comment:

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

These sound so good. I tried the 'old fashioned sugar cookie' recipe this year from Martha Stewart as one of my newbies over the holidays. They are packed with citrus zests and even a blend of 3 citrus oils. I adored them, so I bet I'll love these too. Thanks for the post!