Friday, January 25, 2008

Mashed Sweet Potatoes


I felt the urge to make these this week and found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website. SO easy and seriously yummy. Next time Ill try to lighten it up. I used 3 potatoes instead because Ryan loves the leftovers and upped the other proportions accordingly. Changes in italics

Makes 3 cups


2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup half-and-half
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar (I used dark since that is what I have)
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Place sweet potatoes in steamer basket and cover; steam until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. (I cut in smaller pieces and they cooked up much faster) Drain, and return to saucepan.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar to a simmer, stirring to combine; remove from heat. Add to drained sweet potatoes, and mash just until smooth; season with salt and pepper. I beat it with a paddle attachment in my kitchenaid instead and added 1-2 tsp of cinnamon at the end.

No comments: