Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Broc/Cauliflower/Parmesan Soup




Of all the soups I have made lately, I think this one is the best. Very flavorful, yummy, AND healthy. Not too hard to make, and quick (relatively). Ryan and I both loved it, and it made a ton, so the frozen leftovers will be great to have :)




Again, from Recipes from the Night Kitchen by Sally Niremberg (love this cookbook!)




1 T olive or canola oil (I used EVOO)


1 onion, chopped


6 cups stock


2 cups water


1 potato, unpeeled, diced


1/2 head of broccoli woody stems removed, florets chopped (i used a full head)


1/2 head cauliflower, cored, chopped (I used a full head)


2 T dried basil or 1/3 cup chopped fresh (I used fresh)


1/3 cup grated parmesan (I used more like a cup with a little for topping)




heat oil in stock pot, add onion, cook till golden. Add stock, water, potato. Bring to boil. Add Broc, cauli, basil. Return to boil. Reduce to low, and cook until broccoli is tender, about 15 min. (authors note: important not to add broccoli until after stock, etc reaches a boil)




Remove solids and put in blender/food processor, gradually adding remaining broth and cheese (I had to do this in 2 batches). Do not puree, should be chunky.

No comments: